December 8, 2015
President Bottomly, Provost Shennan, Dean Wolfson, and Dean St. John:
Below are a set of demands we believe the college should implement most expeditiously to ensure a more inclusive social climate and greater commitment to representation of people of African descent at Wellesley College.
1. We demand that Wellesley College hire more faculty of African descent.
2. We demand that Wellesley College, particularly the Office of Admissions, collaborate with students, faculty, and staff of African descent to create and implement an initiative aimed towards creating higher enrollment rates of applicants of African descent.
3. We demand that the Commission on Ethnicity, Race and Equity (CERE) be more transparent with the student body, particularly student cultural organizations.
4. We demand that a student of African descent be included on CERE.
5. We demand that the College admit more international students from Africa and the Caribbean.
6. We demand that Wellesley College conduct a required sensitivity training for all members of the Wellesley College student body, faculty and staff, including employees of the Stone Center and Residential Life, each academic year.
7. We demand that the administration institute a measure of accountability in regard to racial insensitivity for faculty members before the start of the 2016–2017 academic year.
8. We demand that an additional mental health professional of African descent be employed by the Stone Center, who specializes in the care of women of African descent, including students who identify along the LGBTQIA+ spectrum, and who solely serves as a counselor to the student body.
9. We demand that Wellesley College hire a full–time administrative assistant for Dr. Tracey Cameron by the 2017–2018 academic year.
We request a response to these demands by or before 5 p.m. on Friday, December 18, 2015.
Black Women’s Ministry
Wellesley African Students’ Association (WASA)
Wellesley for Caribbean Development (WCD)
Wellesley Minority Association of Premedical Students (MAPS)
For the full list of demands and justifications, refer to the Ethos Facebook page.